Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Changes bring exciting things in the classroom

Hello All!

I had taken some time off from this blog to concentrate on my students and my own family.  In that time, I bought a new home, changed school systems, and moved two teacher's classrooms(my husbands and my own.)  It has been a busy couple of months!

Now that things have settled down, I wanted to get on here and share some new and exciting things I am doing at my new school.

At this school the big initiative is incorporating STEM lessons in the classroom. (STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics).  I love it because STEM is something I had been doing informally in the past but never used official STEM design briefs.  Now that we are well into our school year, I am finding that STEM is a great addition to the classroom and my students have become greater problem solvers and critical thinkers!

Here are a few examples of the projects we have done.

Creating a comfy chair for their mother.
Inspired by the book: "A Chair For My Mother"

 
Creating an appropriate habitat for a given animal.


 
Brainstorming and creating mazes using magnetism to navigate a paperclip through.
 
 

 
STEM has not only been fun and rewarding for the students but for me too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment