Monday, August 20, 2012

Manic Monday

It's: 
Classroom Freebies Manic Monday
 
Time to share another Freebie for you all!
 
At the beginning of the year, I sit down with the children and teach them how to "Shop for Books," using these great book bags that they keep on the back of their chairs. 

 (I got them from the Steps to Literacy site.) 

They choose 5 books to keep in these bags at all times. They can then use them during Independent Reading, Free Time, or any other time that they would like.
One of the things I discuss with the children is how to pick books that are "just right" for them.  (You know how they desperately want to read books that are not on their level.)  We talk about how reading "Just Right" allows them to work on their fluency and understanding and it may not help reading something that is too difficult because they are too busy trying to figure out the words.  However, that doesn't mean they can't use the other books as well.  I call these the "For Fun" books.  They can choose to use these to work on reading harder words, read with partners, or just enjoy the pictures.

After our talk, I display this poster near my classroom library to help remind them about "Just Right" books, as they go shopping. 


Click on the image to download a copy for yourself.

Hope it may help you in your classroom too. :)

P.S.  I promise I will have a fresh *new* freebie for you all next week.  I was kind of side tracked this weekend with some fun flooding in our basement! 

2 comments:

  1. I just found you through Classroom Freebies. I'm a new follower! Great freebie thanks!

    Heather
    The Busy Busy Hive

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have almost the same book bags in my classroom! I love them! I also love the idea of two "for fun" books! Thanks for the free poster!

    Sorry about the flooding in your basement... we get some water and that frustrates me so much, so I couldn't imagine a flood!

    -Jessica
    A Turn to Learn

    ReplyDelete