Thursday, July 26, 2012

Two Cool iPad Apps

First off, I want to say that I wish every teacher had at least one iPad for their classroom.  It is an amazing resource!  I was lucky enough to be able to use the first one our school purchased last year. However, we could only download free apps on it and I really wanted the ability to fully utilize the iPad. 

I decided to try and find a way to get my own.  Since there was no way I could afford one,  I applied for a grant and even tried entering a few contests to win one.  Alas, none of my attempts panned out. 

Then during our Cinco de Mayo celebration, my parents presented me with my "Teacher Appreciation, Early Birthday, End of the Year" gift.  When I opened the package, I started to cry.  Yup, right there in front of all of my students and parents.  They had purchased an iPad for me.  I have never received a gift like that before.  I think my reaction told them that I was beyond appreciative.  The rest of the year was spent trying out new apps and allowing the children to explore the iPad with me. 

So, now that I have had a full month off from anything school related, I am starting to slowly ease myself back into planning and prepping for the new year. 

I decided to spend today inputting my students into two apps that I purchased at the end of the school year.

One is a really cool program called "Teacher's Pick." Basically, you input your students names and then it randomly generates partners, creates small groups, and organizes the children in a few different ways.  You can also click on students and record if they aren't here so the generator doesn't count them.  (See the sleeping and sick icons?)  Pretty neat right?
(Click on the picture to go straight to the app. information.)

The other app that I organized today is one that I am going to try to use a lot this year.  It's called "Teacher's Assistant Pro."  With this app you can keep track of student behavior, homework, and attendance.  It assigns points for different behaviors, which you can customize. I used it for positive behavior in the past. You can even email the parents a weekly report of their child! I believe there is also a spot for annecdotal notes but I haven't gotten that far yet.  It also has dropbox capabilities if you have that on your home or school computer.

(Click on the picture to go straight to the app information.)

I definitely plan on sharing more technology ideas for the upcoming school year in future posts.  But like I said, I am slowly easing myself back into school mode.

Happy Summer!

0 comments:

Post a Comment