Tuesday, July 24, 2012

My Teacher Story

I was doing some blog stalking the other day when I came across a linky party at Tales of Frogs and Cupcakes called "My Teacher Story."  Everyone is being asked to share what led them to become a part of this amazing profession.

So, here is my story:

I have actually always wanted to be a teacher.  The teaching bug hit me in 2nd grade with my teacher, Mrs. Perdue, who was my absolute favorite teacher. After being in her class, I can remember observing things my future teachers did and took mental notes of what I would or wouldn't do in my own classroom.

At one point in high school I took an independent study Astronomy course with another amazing teacher, Mr. Colombo.  I was able to run the planetarium under his tutelage and explored many topics about space. 

When it was time to decide on a major in college, I had it set in my mind that I would go into Astronomy.  After taking one course in Astronomy, I realized very quickly that this was not something I could spend the rest of my life doing. So I went back to my first love, teaching.  I also decided to minor in child development and psychology.

I loved EVERY course I took.  It was such a great experience.

However, when it came time to graduate, the job market was pretty tough in New York(upstate and downstate).  In my one college area, we had 3 teaching schools all graduating and wanting to find jobs.  I ended up getting a preschool job my first year to get my feet wet while deciding where to focus my job search.

I had heard that Virginia was in desparate need of teachers at the time and I thought that would be a fun opportunity.  I attended a job fair and landed a second grade position at a great school.  It was set, my new adventure would begin there.

Not knowing anyone in Virginia except my boyfriend at the time and his mom, I packed up my Penske truck, hitched my car to the back, and my cat and me were off. 

It was definitely tough that first year.  My family and friends were back on Long Island, I didn't know anyone, nor did I know the area.  Plus, I had the added pressure of the first year in an elementary classroom.  I stuck through it, learned MANY things, and met some great people.

12 years later, here I am still teaching second grade and loving it!  Thankfully, that boyfriend is gone and I met and married an amazing guy.  We have two beautiful children and I am loving every moment of my life.  Teaching is still a great passion of mine and I thank God everyday that I was able to find exactly what I wanted to do in life.

So that's it!  If you have a story to tell, I would love to hear it.  Be sure to head over to Tales of Frogs and Cupcakes to share:


7 comments:

  1. What a small world! My husband (also a teacher) is a native Long Islander and we're both starting our first year teaching in -- you guessed it -- Virginia!

    Sarah
    There's No Place Like Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so funny! Good luck with your first year!

      Delete
  2. What a great story! We lived in Virginia for 1 year. I did not teach that year, but we loved living there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's amazing how this area is filled with people from all over. I seriously have met so many amazing people with so many different backgrounds. :)

      Delete
  3. What a sweet story!! :) Thanks so much for linking up!

    Janaye
    Tales of Frogs and Cupcakes

    ReplyDelete