I broke the children into small groups and we headed to our school library. Once there, the children were asked to find 5 or 6 book titles that they could use to create a spine poem. I showed them an example so they understood what we were doing and off they went.
I loved seeing the children work together, collaborate, and compromise without any disagreements. (OK, we did have 1 disagreement, but I difused it quickly.) Before long, all the children were finished and I took a picture of each group's poem.
Here they are:
Thank you to my cousin, Karen, for giving me the idea!
Now that they have tried this once and understand what to do, I may have them do this individually and see what they can up with.