Saturday, April 21, 2012

Spine Poetry

We have been exploring many forms of poetry this month.  Yesterday, we tried our hand at something new called Spine Poetry.

I broke the children into small groups and we headed to our school library.  Once there, the children were asked to find 5 or 6 book titles that they could use to create a spine poem.  I showed them an example so they understood what we were doing and off they went. 


I loved seeing the children work together, collaborate, and compromise without any disagreements. (OK, we did have 1 disagreement, but I difused it quickly.)   Before long, all the children were finished and I took a picture of each group's poem. 

Here they are:




I loved how some groups had themes while others liked the silliness of what they chose randomly.
Thank you to my cousin, Karen, for giving me the idea! 

Now that they have tried this once and understand what to do, I may have them do this individually and see what they can up with.

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Spine Poetry! What a cool idea!! Thanks for showing us some great examples :)

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I thought it was such a neat idea. I just had to share! :)

      Delete
  2. I love poetry and young writers. This is a very unique idea. It sure sends the message to kids that poetry is everywhere!
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is amazing what young minds come up with when writing poetry! They really enjoyed this different approach. :)

      Delete