Sunday, March 25, 2012

Milkweed Mural

I'm not sure if you remember, but I helped pilot a new 2nd grade unit last year: Monarchs, Milkweed, and Mexico. It is a fantastic unit that our county created which covers a number of standards for our grade and spans 2 quarters. Yup, it's that big. 

This was also the unit that I had inserviced other teachers in our county on back in January.  Remember all of my nail biting?
Well, last week I did one of my favorite lessons in the unit. 

After discussing the importance of milkweed and creating a milkweed diagram during the prior lesson, we went into discussing the ecosystem surrounding the milkweed habitat.  We explored many of the insects, plants, and creatures you may encounter and then the children worked together to make a mural of that ecosystem.  They have such a great time working together to create the following.

I love this lesson because the children are introduced to a whole new part of the milkweed habitat.  It is also open ended so all of my children can participate. 
Notice the GIANT milkweed beetle attacking from above.  I love every part of this mural! :)
As morning work the next day, I had the children create labels for each of their items.  They wrote a brief description of the importance of their item as well.  That way passers by can 1. identify everything and 2. learn something.  The children loved #2 because they felt like experts teaching other kids in the school.
Just a fun lesson which can be used for so many other subjects.

0 comments:

Post a Comment