Sunday, February 19, 2012

I didn't get the grant but...

Back in December I applied for a $2,000 grant through my local teacher's credit union to help me purchase a few iPads for my classroom.   I just found out this past week that I didn't get it.  Needless to say I was pretty bummed. 

I had worked so hard researching and writing the darn thing.  Oh well, I thought, at least I still might have a chance long shot at winning the contest to the right.  (Hint, hint....shameless plug, gentle reminder to help vote for me...)
Anyway, little did I know the tech person at our school had asked to purchase 2 iPads through our school's PTO appropriations.  She is currently using hers and the other was to go to (Me, Me Me...Oooh pick me!)....5th grade. Ah, man!

The PTO felt it would be best used in the upper grades since they have more projects and SOL tests. I was a little sad about that since I am dying to get one and I had put so much work into my grant back in December. I was also a little hurt because I know second graders could benefit from it too!  

With my tech person knowing that, she is allowing me to borrow it (she rocks!) until 5th grade needs it in another month or so.  Hey, I will take what I can get!!! :)

So I wasted no time downloading all of the apps I had planned on using so the kids could try them out.

Since we use Twitter in my class, the kids have loved getting on the iPad to tweet.
I love it because it is so portable.  Each child can bring it to their desk to work on.

I have also incorporated it into my centers.  There are a few word work and spelling games/websites that I have. I found many of my apps through my Pinterest searches.  Check out my School Technology board for some ideas for yourself.

I have been using it as an interactive white board.  It hooks right up to my projector, with an adapter, and I can project whatever I am doing right onto the chalkboard.  It has also been great for showing short video clips or pictures through the projector.  That way I don't have to lug my laptop over to the projector.

I also downloaded an app that allows me to transfer whatever I do on the iPad right to my classroom laptop. 

We are trying out Classroom Dojo as a behavior management tool right now.  The iPad has made it super easy to update the children on how they have been helping in class.

Finally for my struggling writers and children with OT issues, I have been using Dragon Dictation.  It took them a bit to get used to recording their voice but once they figured it out, it has really helped them express their ideas without the writing slowing them down.  One child in particular refuses to write in my classroom.  As soon as I showed them this application, they immediately sat down to start a story.  I was able to get more out of them than I had seen in a while!

I am REALLY wishing, hoping, and praying that I win the contest to the right.  I know it probably won't happen, but now that the grant is out, it is my only shot. 

Unless some miracle happens where they give iPads away to teachers or they lower the price to $20, which I doubt, so back to wishing, hoping, and praying.

For now, I am so grateful that I get to use one, even if it is on loan.  It is such a huge asset in the classroom and I wish more teachers could get their hands on them!

4 comments:

  1. Sorry you didn't get the grant. :( But thanks for sharing how you are using the IPAD in your classroom. Maybe one of these days I will get one for my class too.
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do too. They are awesome!

      Delete
  2. Hope you win the contest!! Sorry you didn't the grant! iPads are awesome to use in the classroom!!!

    --Emily
    Ms. Emily Shell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They really are great to use in the classroom. Hopefully more schools will start to get them so we can all rave about them. :)

      Delete