Monday, December 26, 2011

Parent Gifts: Sledding Bookmarks

This year I came up with a fun alternative for a parent gift I used to do.  A bunch of years ago, we found these small sleds through Oriental Trading, the dollar store or someplace like that.  We had the kids get all dressed up in snow gear and took a picture of them pretending to slide across the black top.  Once developed, the children cut themselves out of the picture and we glued them to the sled, making a really cute ornament.

Well, of course we haven't been able to find those mini sleds since, and I finally came up with a solution.  I took the same pose of the kids.


When I FINALLY got the photos back(Snapfish took 4 weeks! Minor panic sweats came over me as I checked the mail each day during the last week of school), the children cut them out.


I gave them this sled to color and decorate.
(Next year I am definitely going to revamp this sled.  Between my grandfather's funeral and the pictures not arriving on time, I was just not on my A game.)

After decorating, the children glued themselves on and I showed them how to add the tassel.
Voila, our student bookmark presents for this year!
They each made two since it was so quick and easy.  That way mom and dad both had one.


The only other thing I wish I could have done was laminate them. We have been out of laminant for over a month. Our secratary had ordered new laminant about 4 weeks ago(supposedly), and I thought: "Surely, we will have it in by the time I need to use it." Nope. Of course I was out of contact paper as well, so these little puppies went home au natural.  Next year, the final step will be laminating these so they last for the parents longer.

The other night I was doing my regular evening pinning ritual, when I saw another cute idea for bookmarks.   You have the children pose like they are reaching up to the sky trying to hold something.  After the pictures are developed, you cut them out and add a tassel to their fist and it looks like they are hanging from it.  Very cute!

Hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and are still enjoying the wonderful holiday break!

3 comments:

  1. Deb, these are super cute! What parent wouldn't want a bookmark with their own child's picture?!?! way to improvise :)

    ❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
    A Teacher's Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I was really happy with how they turned out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll do this after WInter Break and use them as writing prompts. This is so "Pin-worthy!" By the way, I'm your newest follower, Number 58!

    Pitner's Potpourri

    ReplyDelete