Thursday, October 27, 2011

Poetry During Shared Reading

I try to work on a poem a week with my students.  Each student has a "Fluency Binder" that they keep in their desk.   As we work on poems or short passages throughout the year, they add them to this binder. 

We work on poetry and fluency during our Shared Reading block.  After reading the poem in various ways, I then use it to help review various concepts.

This week's poem is Bats by Jack Prelutsky.

With this poem, I was able to discuss new vocabulary.  We shared strategies for reading the more difficult words.  We also reviewed rhyming words, nouns, verbs, and adjectives. 
As I have the children hunt for concepts, I have a volunteer come up and use Wiki Sticks to identify the word(s) they found.

The children really enjoy this activity and by the end of the year their binder is full of great poetry that they can read and understand.

0 comments:

Post a Comment