Day 1: I had them create their monsters using these:
I wish I had the source for you, but from what I made out at the bottom, it is from 1985! LOL...
After they created their monsters, we went on to brainstorm a spooky/scary monster adjective poster.
Day 2: The kids were really pumped up after the first day. Our prewriting activity was to lay out their story using a very simple monster organizer.
Sorry I wasn't more creative on this one. Feel free to click the picture for a copy.
After modeling how to introduce the character and set up the beginning and middle of a the story, while creating my own story, I set them free. It had never been so quiet while writing! :)
Day 3: I modeled how to end the story as well as reread the story and make changes if need be. They were then set free again. A few kids were ready for editing. Some even finished and we put all of the pieces together.
Day 4+: Many are still working on their stories. For my early finishers, they are buddy editing or creating a new story.
I always love seeing what types of stories the children create each year. Once we get closer to Halloween we will share our stories with the class.