Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Making Words

One of my favorite activities in class is Making Words.  I wish I had more time to fit this into my schedule but as of right now, I can only dedicate Mondays to the full version of this.  I love having it on Monday because it is a great way to transition the kids back from the weekend.

When the children come in on Monday they see this:




After they write in their homework agenda, they collect the letters needed from here:

They then take out their Making Words journal and get to work.  The children need to make as many words as they can using the letters given.

There is a "Word of the Day" which is usually a second grade frequency word (indicated by the star on my board).  There is also a "Mystery Word."  This is the word that can be made using all of the letters.

The kids love Word Work.  This year's group has been coming up with some fantastic words.

After some independent time, we come back together and share words that we have created.

Later in the year, I add in word ladders and making sentences to the routine. 

Today I am linking up with Rockin' Teacher Materials, so head on over for some other great Word Work ideas!

1 comment:

  1. I love this idea! Thanks for linking up!
    Hilary
    www.rockinteachermaterials.com

    ReplyDelete