Saturday, August 6, 2011

Advice to New Teachers

Fun in Fourth Grade is hosting their first linky party about good advice for new teachers.

Here are a few things I always share:
1.  Do NOT worry if you don't get to everything in your daily lesson plan.  There is always another day.  Teachable moments and extending great lessons are always more meaningful and important.

2.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  Whether it is a student remark, parent comment, other teacher...it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.  Just try your best to remain confident and know YOU were hired for a reason. :)

3.  Please ask other teachers.  I love helping others and sharing ideas. 

4.  Also, don't be afraid to share your own ideas.  I know I love gaining new ideas from younger teachers.  You guys have some fresh perspectives that others may have forgotten.

5.  Try your best to stay as organized as you can.  It's so easy to feel overwhelmed the first year.  If you keep labeled files, organized electronic folders, and a binder with a copy of everything you did your first year, then next year will be so much easier!

6.  When you are able to, leave your work at school.  You HAVE to give yourself a night off once in a while. You won't survive if you live, sleep, eat, and dream teaching the whole year.

7.  Try to eat lunch with your colleagues.  I know many coworkers eat lunch in their rooms because they have work to catch up on.  Believe me, my black hole classroom sucks me in at times too.  But, forcing yourself to take a 20-30 minute break during the day is worth it AND it is a great stress relief, especially if you have a hysterical group of people to eat with like I do!

8.  Search these teacher blogs!  They are amazing resources and have such a supportive group of people on them.  They will have an answer to any question you have.

Good luck!  You WILL survive! :)

3 comments:

  1. I think eating lunch with coworkers is crucial to establishing a good connection, too. It can be pretty intimidating but makes a huge difference to the school atmosphere. I found your blog during this linky party and am now a follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up! Your have some great pieces of advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had been more organized when I first started teaching, that's a good bit of advice! I just had no concept of what kind of system I wanted to use. :-)

    ReplyDelete